Thursday, January 8, 2015

American Girl Grace's DIY Pastry Cart

Once American Girl's GOTY Grace was released it was all systems "Go".  I love challenges and love to craft, and absolutely love this doll so I let my mind go on the fast train to accomplishing this task.  I went on a scavenger hunt in my home and basically had the basic supplies except for the wheels and wire to make the scroll work on the cart.  I happened to take my weekly trip to Goodwill and came across this metal tissue holder and knew I had my base for the structure.  So here is what I did.

 Here is the tissue holder and I glued 2 painted dowels to the back.

I cut 2 pieces of foam board and glued them on.

 I found some Cool Whip container tops and glued on the image of the wheel and outlined it with a silver paint pen.  I also used a bottle cap for the front wheel.

 Here you can see that I have attached the side shelf for the bread box also using foam board and covered it with silver tape.

 I purchased floral wire and bent it around a pencil and marker to give it the scroll look and hot glued them in place.  I attached an image of the menu and cart sign to a piece of cardboard and glued them in place.



 I attached a small high shelf on the side where AG has a tall cake box.  This was also foam board and attached with hot glue.

 Here is a close up of the top of the cart so far.

 I happened to have this small clear rectangle cover to a small box that was perfect for the bread box and I glued on a bead.


 Here is my "engineering" to make the wheels a bit more stable.



 Here is a close up with some of the accessories in place.  I used mini gift boxes and glued paper to the outsides.  The assorted pastries I already had from different prior purchases and the bread I made with polymer clay.

Here is the completed cart with all its bells and whistles.  I love the way it came out.  Two days of work but so much worth it as I will not be purchasing the original.  Now, I do have to mention that I made this as a prop for my dollhouse as it is not sturdy enough for child play.  I would make it with wood and maybe doll stroller wheels if it were to be made for play.  

THANKS FOR TAKING A LOOK!

No comments:

Post a Comment